modem login and call back on the same line

Mitchell Wyle wyle at inf.ethz.ch
Mon Mar 6 19:15:00 AEST 1989

In article <1770 at vexpert.uucp> nejdl at vexpert.uucp (Wolfgang Nejdl) writes:
>Now we want to add an automatic callback
>facility, which would allow us to call the modem, hang up, and be called back
>some minutes later.
>Does anybody have such a configuration running? (We could also use SUN386i's,
>if this would make any difference.

I wrote a callback script, hacked on it for a week, got it working.  It
is the dirtiest, ugliest set-uid shell script ever written.  It has an
ed script to edit /etc/ttys, does a kill -HUP 1, echos junk at the
modem port, and basically violates all security guidelines, rules, and
regulations.  It works.

I asked usenet twice for a PD ct(1) program, got no answers.  If someone
out there has since written one, it should *definitely* be posted to
comp.sources.misc.  My script gets the job done here, but I won't post
it to the net.
-Mitchell F. Wyle                         wyle at ethz.uucp
Institut fuer Informationssysteme         wyle at inf.ethz.ch
ETH Zentrum / 8092 Zurich, Switzerland    +41 1 256 5237