Strange behaviour of awk

Francois-Michel Lang lang at pearl.PRC.Unisys.COM
Wed Mar 1 00:46:51 AEST 1989

In article <497 at eutrc3.UUCP> wsinkees at eutrc3.UUCP (Kees Huizing) writes:

>In the use of the UNIX filter "awk" I encountered the following problem.
>1. How can the value of $0 depend on whether it has been printed or not?
>   Is this a bug, or do I overlook some mechanism of awk?

This is a known bug that is pointed out in the document by John W. Pierce
    "A Supplemental Document for AWK, or,
     Things that Al, Pete, and Brian didn't mention much".

That paper also describes a number of nifty features that are not documented
in the standard UNIX dscription for AWK.