malloc(3c) core dumps

Wonderly gregg at ihlpb.ATT.COM
Fri Mar 17 12:32:12 AEST 1989

>From article <364 at fdmetd.uucp>, by steinar at fdmetd.uucp (Steinar Overbeck Cook):
> We have an application which uses dynamic SQL against an Oracle
> database. After extracting approx 480 records, the application core
> dumps because of SIGSEGV (Segment violation).
>
> The stack trace in sdb comes out thus:

While the trace is useful, the registers and the offending instruction
are usually a little more enlightening to me.  Try the 'x' command too
and look for a register being used as a pointer with a value in hex that
looks like part of a string as in 0x43546546.

Gregg Wonderly                             DOMAIN: gregg at ihlpb.att.com
AT&T Bell Laboratories                     UUCP:   att!ihlpb!gregg