How to find directory name at end of symbolic links

Dennis J. W. Maine maine at unet.UUCP
Thu Mar 9 09:54:47 AEST 1989

I am using SunOs 3.5 and want to know how to find out the directory
name at the end of a series of symbolic links.  The -L option for
ls does not seem to work with -l option.  For example, if /dir1/a is
linked to /dir2/a is linked to /dir3/a then if I enter ls -L /dir1/a
I want to know that dir3 contains the actual file a. Entering successive
ls -l commands for dir1, dir2 and dir3 is a drag.

Any ideas?

adTHANKSvance,
	djwm
--
Dennis J. W. Maine
{oliveb!ames!tymix!sunncal!amdahl!pacbell!}unet!maine