Help with FTP?

Paul Houtz gph at hpsemc.HP.COM
Thu Mar 30 08:31:47 AEST 1989

I am just starting to use ftp, and I have a few questions:

   1.  How does it work?  I am currently trying to get into some anonymous
       sites, and am experiencing the following difficulties:

          a:  I will be connected to the site, some line noise or something
              knocks me off, and then I can no longer connect to that
              site.   I get the following error:

                ftp: connect: No route to host

          b:  Some sites I attempt connection to give me the error

                 ftp: (site address):  Unknown host

         Once I have been bounced off, I seem to get the first message
         above no matter what machine I attempt to open.   Is it possible
         that getting bounced screws things up on my machine for some
         undetermined amount of time (say--to the next boot up)?

   2.    Is there another method of specifying the address of machine,
         rather than the Arpanet address (i.e., machine.university.edu)?
         In some of the site lists, the give a bunch of numbers with
         periods (302.333.23.2349) that appear to be some kind of address.
         What is this?

  Thanks for your time and help!

Paul Houtz
HP Technology Access Center