Cache controllers, can Xenix use them?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue Mar 7 05:33:51 AEST 1989

In article <195 at icc.UUCP> wdm at icc.UUCP (Bill Mulert) writes:

| My question is, is this cache controller usaeble by any of the
| Unix - Xenix kernels? Does'nt the kernel have to know about it
| in order to use it? Do any of Microport, SCO, Interactive
| support the chip? Would one be wasting ones money to buy a
| machine with a cache controller that would be running Xenix?

  I think you confuse disk cache and memory cache. The only reason to
turn cache off is if it's broken or you want the machine to have prro
performance. If you want good performance memory cache will help,
particularly if you run some slow memory cards with wait states. Cache
isn't a substitute for fast memory, but it will buy you 30% or so in CPU
performance.

  Note: 30% claim based on Dhrystone 1.0 on a 16MHz AMI motherboard.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)