Future at Berzerkeley

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Mon Mar 6 03:13:22 AEST 1989

In article <15407 at cup.portal.com> gregh at cup.portal.com (Greg S Hinton) writes:
}
}I've heard two conflicting predictions lately about the future of Unix
}development at Berkeley.  One school of thought says that CSRG has lost
}most of its funding (Dept. of Defense?) and so the evolution of BSD has
}come to an end; all their wonderful ideas will be absorbed into System V
}and the world will acheive homogeneous standardhood.
}
}The other school of thought maintains that CSRG has only just begun; in
}fact, a version 4.4 BSD will soon be upon us with some pretty radical
}innovations.  And more will follow.
}
}Who's right?  Or is the truth -- as I suspect -- somewhere between those
}two extremes?

You got it. I don't know about the funding aspect though.
System V release 4 will merge System V release 3 with Bsd 4.3, as much as
possible. This however is mostly AT&T's commitment, and does not stop BSD
from changing Bezerkeley Unix again.

Paul.