How to determine file being redirected to in C

David J. Camp david at wubios.wustl.edu
Sat Mar 4 07:24:50 AEST 1989

In article <7419 at pyr.gatech.EDU> curci at stat.fsu.edu (Ray Curci (scri)) writes:
:>In article <10 at sherpa.UUCP> rac at sherpa.UUCP (Roger A. Cornelius) writes:
:>>...  Anyway, can someone tell me how to determine (in C)
:>>if output is being redirected, or more precisely, how to determine the
:>>file output is being redirected to.
:>>Roger      rac at sherpa
:>>           uunet!sherpa!rac
:>
:>You may want to investigate the isatty() function call.  I believe that
:>you can use something like:  isatty(stdout)  which will tell you if
:>standard out is going to a terminal (the usual case), or if it has been
:>redirected via a pipe or into a file.
:>
:>ray curci

I just received umpteen replies about this.  The function call is
isatty(fileno(stdout));
-David-
--
Bitnet:   david at wubios.wustl                ^      Mr. David J. Camp