csh: still trying to read file

Peter Klammer pklammer at pikes.Colorado.EDU
Wed Mar 29 09:25:42 AEST 1989

Thank you all; yes, I know $< can accept a line from stdin.
But what I want is to read a file a line at a time in the
midst of a csh script that is in dialogue; that is, redirecting
stdin is not acceptable.

I have ordered "The UNIX C Shell Field Guide" by Anderson & Anderson,
any other recommendations appreciated.

Another csh mystery (at least until I get my book, maybe): if I prepare
a csh script file (with the mandatory "#" on line 1) and chmod +x it,
and then invoke it from a subdirectory, it is run from my HOME directory!
I could get around that by alias'ing my command to "source xxx"; is that
what one generally does, or is there some way to get my csh script to
know what subdirectory is was run from?  Thanks.