Future at Berzerkeley

Anthony A. Datri aad at stpstn.UUCP
Wed Mar 29 14:16:28 AEST 1989

In article <4572 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> jps at cat.cmu.edu (James Salsman) writes:

>a long time, but SysV will always be more stable.

Let's see:  svr1,svr2,svr3,svr3.2,svr4...  Seems like they come out with
versions a lot more often.

>Witness AFS, the Andrew File System: the first nationwide
>file system.  It runs under BSD, and I don't think it'll be
>on SysV machines for a while.

My experiences with AFS have been that it's slow as molasses, and has no
support for diskless machines.  I think much of it is done with additions to
the BSD kernel, and I've heard that it's been done to AIX now.

>BSD code is more accessable; if AT&T wants major innovations

BSD-only code is more accessible, but things with AT&T code still in them
are still a real pain.
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)