CPU usage > real time

Bruce Barnett barnett at crdgw1.crd.ge.com
Wed Mar 29 13:03:21 AEST 1989

In article <3914 at bgsuvax.UUCP>, jain at bgsuvax (Rajiv) writes:
>Number of seconds CPU was busy was actually greater by almost 1/2 a million
>seconds than the actual number of seconds in a 31 days month.

On a bsd system the values are added to the system when the job ends.
Accounting does not accumulate CPU seconds while the job is running.
You could be running a process for weeks, and when it terminates,
the totals are added. It gives strange daily results.

Also make sure you turn off accounting when you execute rdate.
We got some negative CPU values this way.

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett at crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!steinmetz!barnett, <barnett at steinmetz.ge.com>