How to determine file being redirected to in C

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Fri Mar 3 01:21:08 AEST 1989

In article <1103 at auspex.UUCP> guy at auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) writes:
>>The device/inode numbers are obtained from the fstat() system call.
>>These days, the system ID should also be compared.
>The *what*?

I didn't say it COULD be compared..  What one ideally wants are
globally-unique object handles.  The kludges you described may work
for the time being, but they're just sweeping the real problem under
the rug.  The dirt's still there, and one day it will have to be
dealt with.