application/numeric keypad with vi

Chuck Karish karish at forel.stanford.edu
Thu Mar 9 10:06:40 AEST 1989

In article <1246 at osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu> dan at osupyr.mast.ohio-state.edu
(Dan May) wrote:
>Can someone tell me how to keep vi from changing the numeric keypad to
>the "application keypad" when vi is entered.  The terminal type is
>a televideo 9220.

Check your termcap entry.  Make sure the 'disable numeric keypad mode'
(ke) escape sequence isn't in the initialization string (is).  If
necessary, change the ke sequence to be the same as the ks sequence,
and your keypad will always transmit numbers, no matter what the
application tries to make it do.

You can experiment with a private copy of the termcap entry by setting
the TERMCAP environment variable to the name of the file that holds
your entry.

A similar approach will work on a system that uses terminfo.

	Chuck Karish	karish at denali.stanford.edu
			hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish
			(415) 493-7277