I want to make a bootable 1/4" SCSI with ExaByte kernel -- HOW??

Bruce W. Hoylman bruce at whiskey.USWest.COM
Tue Mar 7 19:56:23 AEST 1989

Awhile back, during a disk installation, something went "BUMP" and we
lost the file system on xy0, the old disk.  Not good ...

Of coarse we had a full backup, but this was done on an ExaByte tape
with a re-built kernel.  Naturally, we didn't have a bootable device
with the proper kernel configuration to access the ExaByte, so it took
a bit of 'tweeking' to get things back together.  (We ended up booting
from swap space with the appropriate kernel).  What a mess!!

(The SCSI is rst8 ... the ExaByte is rst1)

I'd like to avoid this in the future and would like some info on creating
a 1/4" SCSI tape from which I can boot from, activate the ExaByte, and
thus give me access to filesystem backups, etc. in case of another "BUMP".

Can anyone e-mail the proper procedure for creating something like this??

I owe you one ... in advance.

------
Bruce W. Hoylman, (303)889-6624, US West Advanced Technologies
bruce at uswest.com