Need help with password aging

Paul S. Sawyer == paul pss at unh.UUCP
Tue Mar 21 06:22:18 AEST 1989

In article <3275 at ttrdc.UUCP>, levy at ttrdc.UUCP (Daniel R. Levy) writes:

> Toggling can be defeated by storing all past passwords for each user.
> --
> Daniel R. Levy             UNIX(R) mail:  att!ttbcad!levy
> AT&T Bell Laboratories
> 5555 West Touhy Avenue     Any opinions expressed in the message above are
> Skokie, Illinois  60077    mine, and not necessarily AT&T's.

OK, assuming this is true, and assuming I have decided to do so, how do
I implement this in my AT&T binary licensed System V, release 2.1.2?  Is
there a /etc/.passwdrc or such file for setting such an option?  A
tunable system parameter?  ( add only 1/2  B-)  (Yes, I DO know how to
implement password aging, but I see it as Not a Good Thing...)

At some time, in the NEAR future, binary licensees should be able to
get source code for some of the *basic* utilities for which modification
is needed to improve system security, beginning with /bin/login
and /bin/passwd;  I know that alternatives are available, but I would
rather start with the "official" vendor supplied programs and take
responsibility for any changes, than to guess as to whether a third party
or self-written version of such a program is implemented "right" - we are
dealing with setuid root programs, after all.  I do not need, want, nor
can we afford a complete source license...