termios question, PENDIN option

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Tue Nov 21 11:04:06 AEST 1989

In article <2640 at auspex.auspex.com>, guy at auspex (Guy Harris) writes:
| And, as for the way the C shell uses it:
[...]
| 		1) it sends a CR to the terminal, to zip the cursor back
| 		   to column 0;
|
| 		2) reprints the prompt;
|
| 		3) pushes the characters back, still with echoing off;
|
| 		4) sets the PENDING flag, so that those characters will
| 		   be "retyped", this time with echoing on.
|
| 	  The net effect of 2), 3), and 4) is to cause everything that
| 	  was on the line to be printed all over again.

And, all *this* is supposed to be cheaper than running in raw mode?
Gaaccccckkkkk!

(My hatred of the C-shell and other Bezerkly-isms just got one notch
higher.)

Just another person with fond memories of the "simpler" UNIX systems,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |