files recovery after rm?

Satish Kumar .C chittamu at umvlsi.ecs.umass.edu
Tue Nov 14 06:07:56 AEST 1989

.
>  As has already been pointed out to you, setting your umask to 077
>will cause all files created by you to have permissions ---rw-rw- or
>---rwxrwx.  Meaning that you can't read them or execute them.  I doubt
>that's really what's happening, unless you do very strange things with
>your account.

A minor correction. The low order 9 bits of the umask value are used to
clear the corresponding bits in the mode pattern used to create a file.
So a umask value of 077 would make your file unreadable, unwritable and
unexecutable by either group or others, i.e. your mode will be
-rwx------ or some subset thereof.

--
	-Satish.
	chittamu at cs.umass.edu