The USE OF ALIAS

Jeff Medcalf jeffm at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Thu Nov 9 17:29:14 AEST 1989

In article <5398 at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu> bill at uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (William J. King) writes:

>anybody know how to use an alias from my .login when i have
>substituted user to another's?
>bill at uhccux.bitnet

I have a file called .alias, which contains all of my aliases.  In my .cshrc
file, I have a line source ~/.alias  (which also works when I am not in my
home directory).

This way, from anywhere in the filesystem, I can say source ~jeffm/.alias
to get my aliases (if I am su'd, otherwise, ~/.alias).  Or I can say source
~jeffm/.cshrc, which also sets my environment variables.

This is the most efficient way that I know.

Jeff Medcalf	 jeffm at uokmax.uucp	jeffm at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
!chinet!uokmax!jeffm	jeffm at invent_an_address (as reliable as the preceeding)
In 1869, the waffle iron was invented, thus solving the annoying tendency of
waffles to wrinkle in the dryer.