another nice one

Bill Fenner wcf at psuhcx.psu.edu
Sat Nov 11 04:37:25 AEST 1989

In article <20540 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)
writes:  |In article <11576 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
|>In article <20519 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L
Moore) writes:

|==>==> I forgot to ask. What do you mean by bandwidth and how does that
|==>==>relate to my signature?
|==>
|==>He means that the 240 or so characters in your "signature" (the one with all
|==>the @ characters) serve no useful function and use up network communication
|==>capacity that could be better used for transmitting potentially useful
|==>information.  Also, many sites have to PAY to receive or transmit that
|==>useless garbage.  Please show consideration and omit such decorations.

|I can't believe that four lines causes any significant problems.  Does
|anyone know how much is paid to recieve my .sig? .000000001 cents?

  Noone meant your .sig in itself.  A .sig is useful.  However, using 3 lines
of said .sig to say that your name is Ken is slightly wasteful.  Try piping
your .sig through tr -d '@', or sed -e '2,4d'; it'll be much more acceptable.
Also, you'd be surprised how much 240 bytes cost, passing through thousands of
systems...

(ack. never do fill-paragraph in jove when you forgot to seperate your text
from the included text.)

|Also, I don't consider it useless garbage. It allows someone to easily
|identify me. That was its purpose and it seems to serve it pretty well.
Sure.  The first line serves that purpose.  The next 3 serve absolutely none.
--
Bill Fenner                   wcf at hcx.psu.edu             ..!psuvax1!psuhcx!wcf
sysop at hogbbs.fidonet.org (1:129/87 - 814/238-9633)     ..!lll-winken!/