Quiet background proc. in CSH

William Lewis wiml at blake.acs.washington.edu
Sat Nov 18 07:14:54 AEST 1989

   Last night I poasted a question, asking how to quietly invoke
background processes in a CSH script. This morning I already had three
answers (two the same), so I'm posting this to hopefully stave
off a flood. The two answers were:

    1. Put the background stuff in a separate script, and redirect
       stdout from the shell.

    2. (better, IMHO)  Use parentheses to put the pipeline in a
       subshell (?), and put the '&' INSIDE the parentheses. Works
       like a charm! Ie, ( cat | awk | grep & ) instead of
       ( cat | awk | grep ) &.

    Thanks for all the fast responses...

       --- phelliax

--