editors

Kenneth L Moore kenmoore at unix.cis.pitt.edu
Mon Nov 20 10:58:54 AEST 1989

EMACS IS NOT "BETTER" THAN VI. VI IS NOT "BETTER" THAN EMACS.

I once taught a class where the students had to know an editor on a unix
system. I recommended emacs but, because many people preferred vi, I did
not test on the use of emacs. My thoughts were: "Let the individuals
choose for themselves; Why force them to learn an editor just because it
is my personal choice."

If you already know a good editor and it does everything you need to do,
why change? Learning all the nuances new software can be a major issue
depending on your time constraints.

We should all be tolerant of each other's choices. So, let's drop the
arguments. (I still think that discussions might be interesting.)

Also, don't take someone's preferrence for a different editor as a
personal attack. It is not.