ESIX

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Wed Nov 15 07:38:05 AEST 1989

In article <2559B869.26977 at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca>, rho at maccs.dcss.mcmaster.ca (Raymond Ho) writes:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I'm plan to get a set of Unix Sys V variant for my 386 computer.
> However, there're so many of them out there and I hope you guys/gals and
> help.
>
> 	I've heard of the one called "ESIX". Its price interests me very much.

> 	Do you know anything about this ESIX? They said it is compatible at
> binary level with Xenix and Unix, is it true?

I have had ESIX since it was called ENIX.  The good part is, yes, it is
real UNIX 5 Release 3.2.  And it almost works ok.
Note that I was one of the people who had the beta release and sent
zillions of documentation corrections to Everex as well as a few software
bug reports.

Now, for the bad stuff.  In the first production release there were a few
bugs.  X-windows was sick and there is a bug in the console driver that
causes lost interrupts (on other devices) when you change screens.  Not
bad except I cannot get an update.  We have called Everex (Ida Wu, head of
ESIX marketing) at least 3 times, left phone-mail messages and never got an
answer.  Abount 3 weeks ago I wrote a threatening letter complaining about
this and asking for a resolution within 2 weeks or I would sent a copy of
the letter to UNIX * magazines.  No response.  I sent e-mail to Everex
last week.  No response.

I gave up and sent the letter.  I would still like the update.  I'm still
amazed.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl