XMODEM transfers while using 'script' (ptys)

Alex Measday alex at isi.UUCP
Thu Nov 16 09:40:55 AEST 1989

In article <229 at tnl.UUCP>, norstar at tnl.UUCP (Daniel Ray) writes:

> Hi. I've noticed that you cannot use 'xmodem' or 'sx' or other XMODEM-type
> file transfers if you are logging a transcript of your session with the
> utility 'script'. 'script' uses pty's...when attempting XMODEM transfers,
> all one gets is errors til XMODEM or the communication program aborts.

I've got a different but seemingly related problem, so I'm interested in
the answer to Daniel Ray's question, too.  My PC XT was connected to our
Sun 3/110 through a serial port.  I was able to transfer files back and
forth at 9600 baud using the YMODEM batch protocol (PROCOMM on the PC and
Steve Grandi's YMODEM program on the Sun); I had no problems.

We recently bought a CMC TranServer terminal server which is connected to
the Sun via Ethernet and our PC's are connected to the terminal server at
9600 baud (8 bits, no parity).  We use TELNET on the terminal server to
open a session on the Sun; the Sun has a PTY on its side.  Everything
works fine (VI, MicroEMACS, etc.) except for file transfers between the
machines.

Transferring files from the Sun to the PC using YMODEM batch works great,
but transferring files from the PC to the Sun does not.  File names are
exchanged, but the Sun's YMODEM program keeps timing out "while reading
sectors 1-8" (from the debug file) and eventually it aborts the transfer.

Our UNIX-based KERMIT program has the same problem: Sun->PC transfers
work fine, but PC->Sun transfers keep timing out.  The transfer continues,
but at a reduced data rate (a few hundred bytes per minute!).

It seems like the problem has to do with PTY's - what should be done?

                                Thanks!

                                Alex Measday
                                Integral Systems, Inc.
                                Lanham, MD