unix on XT, AT

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Nov 10 01:49:07 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov8.195545.1755 at world.std.com>, madd at world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
> >is an IBM XT.  I've heard that this machine is capable
> >of running UNIX, but I don't know if it'll be happy
> >running X.  Will it run X?
>
> >Does anybody know which type of shell the XT supports
> >(or all shells available for it)?
>
> I think there are only two versions of UNIX which run on XTs, one is
> XENIX and the other is MINIX.  MINIX is a teaching tool so that's out.
> XENIX works fine if you don't want large compute-intensive programs.
> X is a large compute-intensive program.

There is (or was) also PC/IX, a system III implementation.  I believe it was
implemented by Interactive and sold by IBM.  I used it for a couple of years,
and YES it is very slow when compared to a 286 and especially a 386, but at
the time most of the work I did was on a PDP 11/70 running PWB Unix with around
40 users and the XT with PC/IX was at least an order of magnitude better.

However, in answer to the original post, PC/IX was limited to 64k text and
64k data, so i think this would preclude X.