How to set up a mail list (reflector)?

Guangliang He ghe at nucthy.physics.orst.edu
Wed Nov 22 03:02:21 AEST 1989

In article <3901 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> samlb at pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) writes:

> 	On our Ultrix 3.0 system, I edit '/etc/aliases' (do a 'man
> aliases' to find where it is on your system), to create an alias for the
> mailer:
>
> aiforum: amesboards,otherboards,AIlist at stripe.sri.com,
>    andrews%ear at ames-io.arpa,system%mar at ames-io.arpa,falsetti at orion,
>    wolski%gaia at ames,clerma%ear at ames-io.arpa,pjd at hydra,
>
> for instance.
>
> 	After finishing the edit, I run 'newaliases' to make sure that
> the system knows about the new alias.

The aliases file is /usr/lib/aliases on the BSD4.3 and SYS V. A better way
to do it is to use 'include'. Put a line like following into the aliases
file.

list : :include:/u/whoever/whateverfile

This way, you only need to run 'newaliases' once, next time you want add a
usr on to the list, you only need to exit the /u/whoever/whateverfile. You
don't have to run 'newaliases' any more.

USMAIL:   Guangliang He             |  INTERNET: ghe at PHYSICS.ORST.EDU
          Department of Physics     |  BITNET:   hegl at ORSTVM.BITNET
          Weniger Hall 301          |
          Oregon State University   |
          Corvallis, OR 97331-6507  |  PHONE:    (503) 737-4631