Question about GETOPT(3)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Wed Nov 22 08:42:23 AEST 1989

> In article <7043 at ficc.uu.net> peter at ficc.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >What syntax should the shell use for /dev/stdin?
> >	command &1		# stdout is an argument to command.

> '&' in the shell is an actual separator of commands, that is:

Yes, I know. So?

> 	command >&1
(and	command && command)

> does not break '&' normal use because it is used in the twople '>&'

So &1 would be a similar dipthong, with no white space allowed. It's no
greater a syntax problem than the distinction between !cmd 2 > file! and
!cmd 2> file!.

> I doubt the general usefullness of having the shell expand any sequence of
> symbols to '/dev/stdin' (except in globbing: /dev/stdi* :-).

And how about in variable expansion, command line substitution, and shell
functions?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net> <peter at sugar.lonestar.org>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.