vi editor enhancement request

ir239 ir239 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu
Fri Nov 17 19:27:27 AEST 1989

In article <7008 at pt.cs.cmu.edu> dstewart at fas.ri.cmu.edu (David B Stewart) writes:

>But Don't start telling me all the advantages, I'm sure I've heard
>them all from my emacs-fanatic office mate).

Any and every 'vi' user has had at least one of these.  Oh well,
to each his own.

>The funniest thing is that when my office mate was forced to install
>a new system, he had to learn 'vi' just to be able to set up the system
>and install Emacs.  So much for Emacs being "universal"!

Imagine how much fun he'd have if he couldn't mount his /usr
directory -- it's happened, don't laugh.  No 'emacs', no 'vi',
no 'ex'.  THEN he get's to learn 'ed', so he can install 'vi',
to ease the pain of installing the "universal" 'emacs'.

For the record, I use the available editor with which I am most
comfortable.  On most systems this is 'vi', but it's not always
there.  Some "hard-cores" think everyone should start with 'ed'
-- so they better understand regular expressions.  Some
"innovationists" think every new editor should become the de
facto standard.  Who cares?  You can make 'emacs' work like 'vi'
and you can "doll-up" 'vi' to look like 'emacs' -- if you know
the right tricks.  Why bother?

Now, if you want to discuss versions of Rogue, or the relative
merits of Rogue vs. Hack . . .

#include <disclaimer.std.h>

Geoffrey R. Walton
ir239 at sdcc6.ucsd.edu <--for now; new net address under construction
a guest of, but no longer affiliated with, the Dept. of Literature
Never deny an idiot another opportunity to prove it.