export vars from cshell script?

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 22:08:37 AEST 1989

In article <869 at awdprime.UUCP> @cs.utexas.edu:ibmaus!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron writes:
>In article <1815 at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, heidi at kiwi.bcm.tmc.edu (Heidi
>writes:
>> Is there an equivalent in the Cshell to the Bourne shell's export
>> facility?  We have would like to define new environment variables in a
>> shell, and have them be known to subsequent processes.
>
>I may be way off base, but I have always been under the impression that
>setenv automatically exported them??!!

Sposed to do, yep.  Problem is that people who are just moving to csh
from sh tend to overlook 'setenv', because csh also has 'set' which
looks at first glance like it ought to be equivalent to sh 'set'.
(In fact, I suppose it is.  It's the fact that csh lacks 'export' which
is critical, and which is what they notice.)

 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee at uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol at ukacrl.bitnet
 University of Bristol   | Internet: Smee%uk.ac.bristol at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 (Phone: +44 272 303132) |     UUCP: ...!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes