Simple question responses on comp.unix.questions.

Tom Christiansen tchrist at convex.COM
Tue Nov 14 03:15:51 AEST 1989

In article <20589 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo at unix.cis.pittsburgh.edu (Kenneth L Moore) writes:

>For the record I am working on a Phd in EE.

You seem to think a lot of this condition.  I don't, especially
since you do.

>In addition, my
>ego does not depend upon my body of knowledge concerning unix.  As an
>aside, we have a VAX system that has much superior scientific software
>and this is the system of choice in many cases for people ...

Or does perhaps your ego depend on how *little* you know about UNIX?

As for 3rd-party software, that's up to your vendor or the 3rd-party
people to supply, and doesn't reflect on the OS itself.  If you want
a flexible, configurable system on which software development comes
easily, few would question that you want UNIX.  If you want a turn-key
system where you are never required or encouraged to learn anything,
perhaps one of the One-True-Way vendors of MVS or VMS are more suited
to your uncurious anti-programmer mentality.

>Think about this: maybe you'll be in my
>class or working for me someday. Aren't you going to be embarrassed if
>this happens?
>
>Or, what if some one you are trying to get a job with someone who reads
>this group (me for example).  Do you think that he is going to hire
>someone who calls a new user an "asshole" just for having a long
>signature or asking a question?  I don't think so as it is a manager's
>responsibility to create a harmonious working environment.

Once more the poster is displaying his arrogance.  He assumes that
it is *he* who will be hiring *us*.  What a crock!  Since he's still
in school, I find it much more likely that the reverse will come to
pass.  And I, for one, will look dubiously upon a candidate whom
I know to have already displayed such a blatant inability to
get along with and give due respect his peers, as well as his
decided lack of initiative in finding his own solutions.

The original posting may not have justified massive flames, but
this last one is so seething with snobbery and more-educated-than-thou
arrogance that he now deserves anything he gets.

--tom

    Tom Christiansen                       {uunet,uiucdcs,sun}!convex!tchrist
    Convex Computer Corporation                            tchrist at convex.COM
		 "EMACS belongs in <sys/errno.h>: Editor too big!"