files recovery after rm?

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Mon Nov 13 17:18:59 AEST 1989

(Sigh.  Insert obligatory flame about people who get worked up enough
to post a flame-like correction, and get the facts wrong in their
correction.)

ken at cs.rochester.edu has been kind enough to point out to me in E-mail
that my attempt to spell out how umask works fell somewhat short of my
intuitive understanding of it.  That is, I can set a umask to do what
I want with no problem, but I left out a step when I tried to describe
what it does :-).

The umask does not represent the access rights that are *allowed*, it
represents the access rights that are *removed* be default.
Therefore, the request access modes are compared in a bitwise AND with
the one's complement of the umask, not with the umask itself.

A 077 umask would therefore always result in files with permissions of

The general gist of my correction still applies.  This just proves
that *I* should be a bit more careful about what I post, especially
when I am correcting someone else....

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710