cleaning up /tmp (was Re: files recovery after rm?)

Jeff Medcalf jeffm at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
Mon Nov 13 15:18:45 AEST 1989

I have a number of shell scripts and aliases which I use to preserve what I
remove, unremove things, list what is removed, and clean the trashcan.

On our system, /tmp is used as outlined in the referenced article, and
/var/tmp is the users' temporary space.

Files and directories in /var/tmp which do not begin with a . are removed on
reboots (once every day or two), and files and directories that *do* begin
with a . are subject to removal at any time.  We have no problem with the
/var/tmp directory overflowing, even though several people use directories
of the form /var/tmp/.username

Jeff Medcalf	 jeffm at uokmax.uucp	jeffm at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
!chinet!uokmax!jeffm	jeffm at invent_an_address (as reliable as the preceeding)
In 1869, the waffle iron was invented, thus solving the annoying tendency of
waffles to wrinkle in the dryer.