BellTech ACE 8-port intelligent serial controller

Eric S. Raymond eric at snark.uu.net
Thu Nov 30 05:41:46 AEST 1989

In <549 at proxima.UUCP> Lucio de Re wrote:
> We have installed a number of the BellTech (now an Intel company)
> ACE 8-port intelligent serial controllers in MITAC 386 computers
> running SCO Xenix 386 System V Release 2.3.2.

I have one on my 6386, donated by the nice folks at used-to-be BellTech.

> (a) on enabled direct connect lines, getty receives (and echoes) a
>     carriage return and line feed every minute

I haven't seen this on my direct-connect (to an IBM PC serial port).

> (b) occasionally (not too rarely) the ACE device driver reports
>     multiple error conditions (there is no documentation as to the
>     meaning of these error messages).

I *have* seen this. The point of posting what you're reading rather than
mailing it is to let the world know that these messages appear to be harmless
and that the kernel and UUCP will resynchronize with the card without manual
intervention.

> Any ideas or suggestions?

Benign neglect. I've been running for a couple of months now with no problems.
--
      Eric S. Raymond = eric at snark.uu.net    (mad mastermind of TMN-Netnews)