UNIX vs. VMS Internet connectivity

mf12605 at msi-s9.msi.umn.edu mf12605 at msi-s9.msi.umn.edu
Fri Nov 10 11:47:18 AEST 1989

I'm posting this for somebody without USENET access. Please reply
to the address given in article below.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for such questions,
but here goes: our university is finally planning to hook up
to Internet, most likely via U. of Ill. at Urbana-Champaign.
Our computer center, as far as I know, has only an IBM mainframe,
and a VAX under VMS (Unix is still considered a bizarre religion
around here). I've only had experience with Unix machines (Suns,
Unix VAXen, etc.) in this context. I would like to hear your
biased or unbiased opinions re. relative advantages. Please forgive
my naivete which will show in most questions.

Definition: "useful (Internet) software" means anything which
would permit file transfers a la ftp, access to news, rlogins,
equivalent of "talk", as well as other "connectivity" stuff
found in an average Unix system.

- can an IBM mainframe run "useful software" without much pain? or
do we need to get connected to a Vax or something similar?

- is VMS handicapped, as far as "useful software" goes, compared
to Unix? If so, in what way?

- is there any favorite networking method to be used locally?
everywhere I've been before, Ethernet was the standard; here, a
"mafia" of sorts is pushing a token ring LAN; any concrete arguments
against it?

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.     Eric
If possible, please reply to NBEHR at ECNCDC.BITNET