How does one get on the Usenet or the non-DDN internet?

Thomas Hoyt thoyt at ddn-wms.dca.mil
Sat Nov 18 07:43:09 AEST 1989

  This is a general request for  information  and  thus  should  be
  answered via email.

  Currently I am connected to the DDN portion of the internet via a
  Sun  with  BSD4.2  and  enjoy  all  the benefits thereof (telnet,
  Interest Groups, ftp, etc).  However, in 2 weeks  I  am  changing
  positions  to  another  company  that  has  very  little  network
  connectivity.  About all they have is a SysV box and one  or  two
  low  speed modems.  Naturally, I am interested in bringing my new
  position   in   the    Unix    'community'--(life    w/o    news?
  Unthinkable!:)).  The question is: how do I do this?

  I am familiar with the internet way of doing  things.   How  does
  one  obtain access to information about becoming part of the non-
  DDN internet? What commercial and academic networks are available
  in  the  Wash. DC metro area?  Will the Nic have information like
  this?  Are  there  networks  available  that  provide  the   same
  facilities  I  have now?  How do I get software (PD or otherwise)
  to support the internet facilities if my machine (or its  vendor)
  does  not have the required protocols?  How does the .UUCP domain
  relate to the Internet?  To the usenet?

  Additionally, I would be interested in getting onto  the  usenet.
  This  I  know little about (we are not on it here).  How does one
  get information about usenet nodes in this  area  from  which  we
  could get mail and news?  Is there an etiquette or administrative
  protocol for acquiring a usenet feed?  How does  one  get  usenet
  S/W   w/o being  on  the internet and using ftp?  Is there such a
  thing as an 'anonymous uucp'?  If so, how does one discover where
  to dial up to get this software?

  Apologies for my ignorance.  Around here TFM has  little  to  say
  about   these matters and right know I know more about TCP/IP and
  X.25 than simple   serial   communications,  usenet   and   uucp.
  Please cite any  reference books I could use if you know of  any.

  Many thanks.
******
thoyt at ddn-wms.dca.mil  |  "Oh no...it's written in COBOL..."  | (Ps. 83:18, KJV)
Thomas Hoyt            |  "Government Computers for Government business..."
Network Mgmt, Inc., Fairfax, VA -- 703-359-9400       |  "NO FUN ALLOWED..."
******