Import variables in to awk.

David C Lawrence tale at pawl.rpi.edu
Thu Nov 16 11:06:16 AEST 1989

In <15924 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> jik at athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

Jon> 1. Why isn't this mentioned in the BSD man page awk(1), or in the
Jon>    /usr/doc documentation about awk?

Oversight, I suppose.  SunOS manual page has it.

Jon> 2. What happens if you actually want to read in a file that has = in
Jon>    the filename?  How am I supposed to know what happens if the
Jon>    feature isn't mentioned in documentation? :-)

Good question.  I just tried a few different things which I thought
might work and none of them did.  It appears as though .*=.* patterns
which appear after a file name (/dev/null in my test case) are simply
ignored; they are neither interpreted as variable assigments nor as
file names.  I also tried passing it an arg of foo\=bar (my test case)
and it still did nothing.  In fact, it didn't even read stdin.  Hmm ...

Dave
--
 (setq mail '("tale at pawl.rpi.edu" "tale at ai.mit.edu" "tale at rpitsmts.bitnet"))