tar vs. cpio - which is better?

Sysadmin. jessea at dynasys.UUCP
Sat Nov 25 14:48:49 AEST 1989

I was wondering if anyone out there in netland could tell me if tar or cpio is
better for archiving?  What are the advantages/disadvantages for both?  It
seems to me that they are both for archive purposes so why is there two
programs that do the same thing?  Or do they do basically the same thing?
Thanx in advance.

--
Jesse W. Asher - Dynasys - (901)382-1705       Internet: jessea at dynasys.UU.NET
6196-1 Macon Rd., Suite 200, Memphis, TN 38134     UUCP: uunet!dynasys!jessea