The USE OF ALIAS

Jonathan I. Kamens jik at athena.mit.edu
Fri Nov 10 13:52:08 AEST 1989

In article <20556 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)
writes:
>Thanks Jeff, I knew about source ~/.tshrc or ~/.cshrc but didn't
>know about source ~/.alias.

  I find this comment a bit bewildering.  What is there to "know"
about a file called ~/.alias?  It is not a special file.  It is just a
file called .alias, which just happened to be chosen as a good name
for a file to store command aliases in.

  It's not like .cshrc or .tshrc, because the system does not execute
it automatically.  And it is not endowed by any magical qualities that
make it necessary for someone to have to tell you about it just
because it starts with a dot.

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik at Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710