Make: Compiling source code from a different directory.

Ken Spagnolo KSpagnol at massey.ac.nz
Mon Nov 27 13:52:38 AEST 1989

We have several machines that all need to run the same code.  Rather
than keep the source on each and worry about keeping them up to date,
I set up the makefile on our Sun 386i to access the source kept on
our Pyramid.  This wasn't too difficult.  I have an obj directory that
contains the makefile, and on the same level, a src directory that is
a symbolic link to the other machine.  So the makefile defines SRCDIR
as ../src and uses the following rule to find everything:

%.o: $(SRCDIR)/%.c
	$(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c $<

It works fine on the Sun, but when I tried it on our new DECstation 3100,
it didn't work.  Does anyone know of another way to achieve this?  No
matter what I try, I get "Don't know how to make target".  Thanx a lot.

--
Ken Spagnolo - Systems Programmer, Postmaster, Usenet Administrator, etc.
   Computer Centre, Massey University, Palmerston North, New Zealand