yahoo misinforms again (was Re: vi editor enhancement request)

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Sun Nov 19 04:53:59 AEST 1989

This "yahoo" is really building up quite a rep.  Is he really "Minas"
in disguise? :-)

In article <20668 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, yahoo at unix (Kenneth L Moore) writes:
| Emacs even allows for the execution of unix commands while in the
| editor. For example: I type Capture Command Output then type date. This
| gives me the time in my file at the current cursor position. There are
| infinite variations on this theme. (You might dump the result to a
| buffer. You may want to to an ls -l on the file you are working on,
| etc.)

Not that I'm pushing 'vi' (I prefer "living in Emacs" for the majority
of the day, but I have to use both to get my job done), but YOU COULD
AT LEAST GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT, Mr. Yahoo!

In vi, I can type:

:r !date

reads the date into the buffer at the current line.  Or, using your
other example of "infinite variations", saying:

:r !ls -l %

even gives me a directory listing *without* even knowing the name of
the file.  Vanilla GNU emacs won't do that.  (Yeah, you could write
some Elisp code so that it will... don't tell me that...)

Mr. Yahoo, your score on misinformation rises rapidly.  I suggest
*strongly* that you just *read* the net for at least a little while
longer.

There.  I'm off my soapbox now.
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |