Ways to access Usenet and non-DOD internet

Thomas Hoyt thoyt at ddn-wms.dca.mil
Thu Nov 23 06:29:05 AEST 1989

internet access.  Thanks to randall at uvaarpa.virginia.edu and rsalz at bbn.com
for their help.

Basically, the best place to inquire about local (non-ddn) internet access
is with the NSF net folks at nnsc at nnsc.nsf.net.  Locally (here, Wash, DC
area) I can link up with the SURANET (for much $$$$!), a commercial and
academic network.  You can get more information from sura-admin at noc.sura.net.

I discovered that you can ftp the NSF network center resource guide from
nnsc.nsf.net.  This lists several regional internet networks as well as
other network resources.

As for Usenet access, contacting UUNET, here in Falls Church, VA seems to
be the best way.  Contact info at uunet.uu.net for more information about the
services they provide.  Ftp'ing to uunet.uu.net also is a good source of
info.  They have a uunet-info directory with information about some of their
services.

If anyone else has info, let me know, thanks.
******
thoyt at ddn-wms.dca.mil  |  "Oh no...it's written in COBOL..."  | (Ps. 83:18, KJV)
Thomas Hoyt            |  "Government Computers for Government business..."
Network Mgmt, Inc., Fairfax, VA -- 703-359-9400       |  "NO FUN ALLOWED..."
******