Question about GETOPT(3)

P E Smee exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk
Thu Nov 16 05:37:52 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov7.000009.23547 at virtech.uucp> cpcahil at virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1989Nov3.110330.27751 at gdt.bath.ac.uk>, exspes at gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) writes:
>> In article <11456 at smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn at brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>> >-As for the religious point of view, dashes should just go away and be
>> >-replaced by entries in the file system such as "/dev/stdin".
>>
>> Urk!  Would you *really* rather have to type "/dev/stdin" rather than
>> simply "-"?
>> Instead, how about an extension to general
>> filename expansion to say that the token "-" *always* means stdin...
>
>Using /dev/stdin falls in line with the standard unix way of referenceing
>special files (like /dev/tty, /dev/mem...).
>Your solution for re-mapping the "-" will only work
>for programs started by the shell...

Yeah, I know all about /dev/*, and don't have any trouble with the idea
of /dev/stdin *existing*.  However, I *don't* want to have to type it.
My concern is really only with shell command lines, because they are
the only things I have to type in (more than once :-).  I see no
problem with simultaneously having a /dev/stdin AND a simple-to-type
thingie which the shell expands to mean 'stdin' in whatever guise it
likes.  Much the same as I see no problem with having a bunch of files
in my homedir, and an easy-to-type ~/* to refer to them when I'm
talking thru the shell.

Of course there are problems with '-', since some things already give
it other custom meanings (tar comes to mind) but there must be some one
or two char string going spare.  Maybe ~~ or $~ or something.

 Paul Smee               |    JANET: Smee at uk.ac.bristol
 Computer Centre         |   BITNET: Smee%uk.ac.bristol at ukacrl.bitnet
 University of Bristol   | Internet: Smee%uk.ac.bristol at nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
 (Phone: +44 272 303132) |     UUCP: ...!uunet!ukc!gdr.bath.ac.uk!exspes