files recovery after rm?

9704 bink at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
Fri Nov 17 14:45:07 AEST 1989

This was so amusing, I posted it at work.

In article <15844 at bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> Jonathan Kamens flames:
>   You have a lot of nerve talking pedantically to someone who
> obviously is more informed than you are.
>
>   You have shown to the net, and to comp.unix.questions in particular,
> ignorance about several relatively basic subjects in the past couple
> of weeks.  That would not be so bad if you were *asking* questions,
> but you are *answering* them, and giving wrong answers in the process.
>
>   When people do correct you, you have taken the position that you
> must know more than they do, even when you obviously do not.  [...]
>
> In article <20559 at unix.cis.pitt.edu> yahoo at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Kenneth L Moore)
> writes:
> >You are confusing umask with the actual mask. I set my mask to 111 000 000
> >by using a umask of 077 in my .cshrc. 	[well put]
>
>   He is confusing nothing.  Mask and umask are identical terms in this
> situation.  Do you even understand why it is *called* a mask?  [...]

See flame above about posting wrong answers to "relatively basic subjects".

> 1. Somewhere in the process of creating the file, the open() function [...]

It's *called* creat() (usually), and it's a system call.

> >The first bit in the first word (pertaining to my privileges) is logically
> >anded with 1 giving me read privileges. The second bit is anded with [...]
>
>   Actually, the whole umask is masked over the requested permissions
> when a file is created using a bitwise AND, not a logical AND.  [...]

*Actually*, there's not a whole heck of a lot of difference when you're
talking about one bit (as Mr. Moore was).  K&R (excuse the bitwise AND)
didn't coin the word "logical".

>   Yes, one which you obviously have gotten wrong.	[oh?]
>
>   As has already been pointed out to you, setting your umask to 077
> will cause all files created by you to have permissions ---rw-rw- or

Anyone who's ever used umask can see this is wrong.  Contrary to your
followup, if you could show me just *one* place where Mr. Moore was wrong
and you weren't, I'd be surprised.  I think you owe this man an apology.

					-- Greg Ubben
					   bink at aplcen.apl.jhu.edu
					   ...!uunet!mimsy!aplcen!bink