spell..adding new words

Doug Gwyn gwyn at smoke.BRL.MIL
Thu Nov 16 11:03:25 AEST 1989

In article <1628 at novavax.UUCP> rwright at novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) writes:
>Perhaps excesses as a youth dithered my brain; but all of TFM's that I
>have read do not explain how to add words to spell's idea of correct
>words.

System V flavors of "spell" support local word lists; RTFM again.
For older flavors, you may have to add the words to the "local"
file found in the source directory for the "spell" utility and
perform a "make install" (which will run "spellin" and copy the
resulting hash list file to the needed place).

>Spell even in its most primative form would be helpful to me if I
>could get it to expand its vocabulary.

What do monkeys have to do with this?

>Perhaps someone could explain it to me, try to use simplistic terms.  ;-)

Basically, either use System V "spell" or give your word list to
your system administrator and ask that he add them to the supported
word list for "spell".