UUCP protocols - in the future?

Mark J Elkins mje at olsa99.UUCP
Sat Nov 25 04:35:47 AEST 1989

A while ago, there was some talk of maybe putting 'Z-modem' into the
stack of uucp protocols.  Has anyone got around to doing this yet?
This is ment to be one of the 'better' protocols around.  I believe
that when its used, it means you can do file transferes
bi-directionally at the same time (sad for the TrailBlaser users (I'm
one) - but a plus for V32 and X25 (?)).  It also allows broken
transferes to be re-started from were they broke.  At the moment, if
you queue several jobs together and it falls over - all the jobs are
resent!!  - unless they arrived with 'write-protect' - then they are
only 'attempted'.

My news feed is compressed - what about being able to compress the
'mail' - or any 'uucp' data for that matter.  The 'batcher' (uucp or
uux) programs should be able to check their input files and do some
sort of compression on them ?.  Perhaps this should be an option for
the command line of uucp/uux ?  I know I can compress a file before
'uucp'ing it, but mail (as far as I know) can't.

I send both news and mail to the same site.  The news can wait for the
cheap rate (as there is lots) but the mail should be send immediately.
How can I do this?  Can a UUCP job be given a 'priority' - ie - send
now, wait for off-peak, send now if I'm polled, ...  etc.

UUCP has been with us a long time (I've played with it for 7 years),
isn't it about time it was overhauled?  HDB was a step in the right
direction - now lets put the other foot forward.  (Maybe Sys V Rel 4.0
does something :-) )

--
  .  .     ___. .__       Olivetti Africa, Unix 'Everything-except-sales'
 /| /|       / /__        UUCP: uunet!olsa99!mje (Mark J Elkins)