Question about GETOPT(3)

Peter da Silva peter at ficc.uu.net
Sat Nov 18 09:20:38 AEST 1989

a Syntactical Brainstorm:

What syntax should the shell use for /dev/stdin?

You can't use -, other programs already use it for other things.

Well, what syntax does the shell (bourne shell) use
for file descriptors?

	command file		# file is an argument to command
	command > file		# file is a place to redirect stdout
	command 2> file		# file is a place to redirect stderr
	command 2>&1		# stdout is a place to redirect stderr
Aha!
	command &1		# stdout is an argument to command.

So: command &n gets expanded to /dev/fd/n...?
--
`-_-' Peter da Silva <peter at ficc.uu.net> <peter at sugar.hackercorp.com>.
 'U`  --------------  +1 713 274 5180.