Berkeley Unix on PC?

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Tue Nov 21 08:09:49 AEST 1989

>>A Sun 3/50 or 3/60 is easily desktop-sized -- it's not much bigger than an
>>IBM AT. SunOS is a 4.2 BSD derivative with many SysV extensions.
>
>Actually, the latest release should be based on UNIX System V Release 4.0,

If you're referring to SunOS, the latest release isn't based on S5R4;
S5R4's just barely come out, and I don't know that the "final" tapes are
out (i.e., the same source tapes that'll be shipped to regular source
customers; the "early access" versions are, I think, basically alpha or
beta releases).

>which merges System V, SunOS (4.2BSD), and Xenix into a single system.

(The SunOS from whence the S5R4 stuff came is mostly 4.x stuff, which is
more based on 4.3BSD than on 4.2BSD at this point.)