Symlinks and ..

Eduardo Krell ekrell at hector.UUCP
Tue Nov 21 02:28:44 AEST 1989

In article <2755 at munnari.oz.au> ok at mudla.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Richard O'Keefe) writes:

>I am less found of symlinks than I used to be.

Welcome to the club ...

".." should be treated as a logical operator that moves you one level
closer to the root by stripping the last component off your current
working directory (which is whatever path you used to get to where
you are). This preserves the "/usr/foo/bar/.. == /usr/foo" paradigm.

Besides, this is the only sensible interpreation of ".." on implementations
where ".." does not exist physically as a directory entry (which is
not required by POSIX).

Eduardo Krell                   AT&T Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ

UUCP: {att,decvax,ucbvax}!ulysses!ekrell  Internet: ekrell at ulysses.att.com