Swap on 4.2BSD--Thanks and Summary

Tim Evans tkevans at fallst.UUCP
Mon Nov 13 09:18:45 AEST 1989

A few days ago, I wrote:

>11/750's running 4.2 BSD and have been rummaging around on them.  I've
>discovered that, although /etc/rc starts up 'swapon -a' there is no
>swap partition defined in /etc/fstab.

I want to say thanks to the people who responded, including:
	danl at midget.towson.edu
	ee.udel.edu!law
	diku.dk!seindal
	cs.strath.ac.uk!jim
	ariel.unm.edu!rhare>
	hamlin at cvl.UUCP

All agreed that swap space is defined a kernel compile time, via the
'config' line in /usr/sys/config/machine_name:

	config	vmunix	root on hp0a  swap on hp0b  dumps on hp0b

The call to 'swapon -a' in /etc/rc allows additional swap space(s) to be
used, provided they are also specified at compile time:

	config	vmunix	root on hp0a  swap on hp0b and hp1b  dumps on hp0b

The optional swap spaces must also be listed in /etc/fstab.

Now, all I have to do is to get my vendor to pay attention; he does all
the kernel generation.  (For the time being...)

Thanks again.
--
UUCP:		{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!woodb!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:	tkevans at wb3ffv.ampr.org
OTHER:		attmail!fallst!tkevans
Tim Evans	2201 Brookhaven Ct, Fallston, MD 21047  (301) 965-3286