find command

Dennis G. Rears FSAC drears at pica.army.mil
Wed Nov 29 01:32:47 AEST 1989

Mike:

   You write:

>I was reading an article in a magazine, and the article was talking
>about the
>find command. It mentioned as an example:       find / -depth -print
>
>Now I have RTFM (both on BSD-based systems and SysV-based system) and
>I can fi!
>no option -depth, furthermore, when I try the example I get:
>find: bad option < -depth >
>
>What does this option mean ?

  From the SUNOS manual pages:

     -depth    Always true; performs  descent  of  the  directory
               hierarchy  so  that all entries in a directory are
               acted on before the directory itself.  This can be
               useful  when find is used with cpio(1) to transfer
               files that are contained  in  directories  without
               write permission.

Dennis

P.S.  Give me a call and I will give you an account on caesar or
augustus if you want to check it out.