Pass environment through rlogin

Randal Schwartz merlyn at iwarp.intel.com
Thu Nov 23 12:00:13 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov21.040936.10463 at athena.mit.edu>, jik at athena (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
|   I don't believe there's any way to do this with the standard rlogin.
[describes a couple of hacks...]
|   People have been talking about writing an rlogin that transfers
| arbitrary environment variables over the connection for a long time
| now.  I wonder when it'll happen :-)

Of course, if the source and target machines have shared NFS-mounted
home directories, you can do something like:

(
printenv | sed 's/\(.*\)=\(.*\)/setenv \1 \2/' >~/.$$
setenv TERM ~/.$$
rlogin foosys
)

and in .login, have:

switch ($TERM)
case /*:
	set x=$TERM; source $x; rm -f $x
	breaksw
endsw

Of course, I've glossed over:
(1) metachars in the ~.$$ file
(2) not passing *all* the environment
(3) this untested code not working

but you can see the general idea.

Just another multiple system hacker,
--
/== Randal L. Schwartz, Stonehenge Consulting Services (503)777-0095 ====\
| on contract to Intel's iWarp project, Hillsboro, Oregon, USA, Sol III  |